26 November 2011

They Have the Internet On Phones Now, Eh?

I don't have a smart-phone. This is not because I fail to see their utility but because I am cheap. Now that they all have wifi I see little call for a data package, but service providers make one mandatory so fuck that. I'd sort of be OK with it, though, if it weren't for the also-mandatory phone package. Service providers milk them as phones that also do computery stuff, but to me they are computers-lite that one can also use as a phone. So I don't have one because I refuse to pay an overinflated phone bill but I also refuse to pay the overinflated mid-range-laptop price of an unsubsidized "lite" computer.
Committment to this line of thought eventually led me to wonder about smart-phones and deaf persons. Do service providers allow them to have data-only plans, or do they screw them with useless phone plans the way they screw the hearing with mandatory data plans? If service providers to let them get data-only plans, do they have to prove that they're deaf? If the s. p.'s do offer data-only plans, why should being deaf have anything to do with it? Unless the s. p.'s offer the same purchase subsidies. I guess I can see that, although my inner cheapskate would still feel cheated.
What I really want is an iPhone that runs Android, without having to pay for a phone package. I want the iPhone display and camera without having to deal with Apple or service providers. (Apple should just call themselves iPple now, and the logo should be an apple with one giant bite out of each side leaving a vaguely I-shaped core.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home